flexVDI Client gives the user the experience of being sitting in front of his virtual deskto. Most of the time flexVDI will present the user the image of the screen of a computer. It looks like his:
flexVDI Client shows the screen of the virtual desktop. When the user moves the mouse, or types on the keyboard, flexVDI Client will send these inputs to the virtual computer (Guest) just as if mouse and keyboard were directly connected to it.
Connecting to the desktop
A common scenario of usage of flexVDI platform implies the authentication of the end-users before presenting them their desktop. If the flexVDI platform administrator has configured the service this way, when the user starts flexVDI Client, he will be presented a screen like the following. Enter your user name and password, and click on "log in".
It is also possible to access the virtual desktop without authenticating users. This is the case when flexVDI is used in "kiosk mode" to give access to public desktops in scenarios like libraries. In this case, the desktop is associated only to the physical computer running flexVDI Client, and the authentication step is skipped.
If you have access to only one desktop, you will automatically be connected to it. Otherwise, you will be presented with a list of the virtual desktops you can connect to, so you can choose the one you want. It looks like this:
After choosing an option, you will be connected to the selected desktop and will be able to use it.
You can enter the configuration screen clicking on the gear icon in the top right of the screen. Alternatively you can click on the "Config" item created in the Windows Start menu, in the "flexVDI Client" group.
You will be presented with a screen like this:
- Server and port: IP or name of the server that the flexVDI Client has to connect to. Ask your flexVDI platform administrator for the value to enter.
- Websocket: Field only needed when connecting to old servers. Recent versions negotiate the decision of using websockets with the server.
- Webproxy: check it if you need to use a webproxy to connect to the server. More fields will appear:
Enter the proxy server name, and IP. Optionally, you may have to enter a web proxy user name and password, depending on the web proxy configuration. If in doubt, consult your network administrator.
Config data is stored in "%APPDATA%\flexVDI Client 2.2\config.xml".
You can open the flexVDI Client menu, clicking on the auto-hidding plus button in the center of the top border of flexVDI Client window.
The three buttons in the top right corner let you toggle full-screen, minimize, or close the window, even on full screen mode, when there is no window bar with the equivalent buttons.
You can send some keystrokes, like Windows Secure Attention Sequence Ctrl+Alt+del to the Guest, from the menu, instead of typing them. Use the buttons in the top part of the menu.
Shutdown the virtual machine
In the first line of the client there are three buttons that send power actions to the Guest:
- Reset: equivalent to pushing the "reset" buton on a physical PC. The Guest will be abruptly shutdown and restarted.
- Shutdown: equivalent to pushing the "shutdown" button on a physical PC. It will orderly shutdown the machine in most situations.
- Unplug power: equivalent to removing the power plug in a physical PC. It will abruptly shutdown the Guest. The flexVDI system administrator can configure Guests to "Run always", so it may inmediatelly restart. Using flexVDI Client to connect to a Guest will start it too.
Follow me printing
flexVDI Client lets you share your locally installed printers with your Guest. In the menu, you will see a list of locally installed printers. Click on one of them, and the printer will be connected to the Guest. It can take several seconds to the Guest to detect and install the drivers for the printer, specially on Guest running old operating systems.
For "Follow me printing" to work, flexVDI Client Guest tools must be installed in the Guest. They will additionally install a virtual printer called "flexVDI PDF Printer" in the Guest. Printing on it will generate a PDF on the local machine running the flexVDI Client.
flexVDI platform administrators can disable this feature.
Release mouse and keyboard on flexVDI Client for Windows
flexVDI Client comes with some handy shortcuts:
- Left shift + F8: free mouse and keyboard from Guest capture, and get them out of the flexVDI Client window.
- Left shift + F9: show menu.
- Left shift + F10: toggle full screen mode.
If flexVDI Guest tools have not been the installed in the Guest, or they are not running yet (for instance during the Guest boot process), mouse pointer is "grabbed" by the Guest, and the usage of the keyboard shortcuts is needed to release it.
These shortcuts are also shown when flexVDI Client menu is active.