The most simple configuration of a flexVDI platform, looks like this:
A flexVDI Agent runs on each Host, while only one flexVDI Manager instance controls the platfrom. The flexVDI Config tool configures individual Hosts, while the flexVDI Dashboard application manages the platform logic, interacting directly with the flexVDI Manager. The Finally, the flexVDI Client is the end user viewport to a virtual desktop. First, the flexVDI Client connects to the flexVDI Manager to obtain the desktop connection parameters. The Manager may determine the virtual desktop to connect to based on the terminal and/or the user that is requesting the connection, and it will start a new instance when needed. Then, the Manager returns the Client which Host is running the virtual desktop, and how to access it. Finally, the flexVDI Client will connect to the virtual desktop and present it to the user.
Additionally, flexVDI offers the following components for additional features:
- flexVDI Gateway: Platform entry point for flexVDI Clients. It encapsulates all communications with WebSockets over TLS to a single public TCP port, easing network administration and providing secure communications. It can scale horizontally when required by massive deployments.
- flexVDI WebPortal: Appliance composed of a flexVDI Gateway and a flexVDI HTML5 Client application. Provides access to virtual desktops from web browsers where installing a native client is not possible.
- flexVDI Guest Tools: Set of tools that provide improved performance and extra functionality (printer sharing, clipboard sharing, USB device redirection) to the Guest where they are installed. There are Windows and Linux versions available.
The flexVDI Gateway
The flexVDI Gateway is a part of the flexVDI Suite, that gives flexibility to to the way that users connect to their Guests.
Its basic functions are:
- It gives a single point of entry to the platform: it acts as a proxy for both the flexVDI Manager and the Hosts, so that clients only need to connect to it. With a Gateway, you only need to make one IP address accessible to users, which is specially useful when that address is public and/or behind a firewall.
- It encapsulates all communications in a websocket over TLS, securing the communication with cryptographic authentication and encryption.
When using a flexVDI Gateway, the client connection schema looks like this:
By default, a flexVDI Gateway instance runs on every flexVDI Host for convenience. You can then expose one of your Hosts to your users, or balance the connections among all of them with an ordinary web balancer. flexVDI Gateway instances can run on separate machine too, scaling horizontally with as many instances as needed: