flexVDI Manager is a guest that runs on the fleXVDI flexVDI infrastructure. It is not updated/installed with yum as the other components of the flexVDI infrastructure.Instead, when a new version of flexVDI Manager is released, you can update your installation with the flexVDI Config tool. The upgrade process preserves all logical objects created on the platform (guests, policies, storage, etc ...), while repeating the installation process would delete the database leaving the platform as new. However, it is advisable to make a backup of the Manager before proceeding with the upgrade process.
In order to update the flexVDI Manager, log in one of your flexVDI Hosts the hosts that is currently running your Manager instance.
- Select the menu entry called "Manager".
- You should make a backup of the Manager before upgrading. To do so, select the menu entry "Backup".
- Once the backup has been done, use the menu entry "Upgrade" .
- It will ask for the flexVDI Manager password. Type it and press enter.
- Select "Portal" to download the new Manager image from flexVDI portal (or local, if you have already downloaded it and copied it to the host).
- Then select the product (flexvDI Manager 3.0)
- and release (the latest 3.0.x). It will automatically download the new version. This may take some minutes.
- Finally, the program will ask for confirmation.
- Note that flexvdi-config is able to discern if you want to upgrade or downgrade, depending on whether you choose a later or earlier version than the one that is already installed.
- Then it will automatically stop the manager, replace it with the new version, and start it again. This usually takes about 5 minutes.
flexvdi-config will automatically stop the manager, replace it with the new version, and start it again. During the installation, flexVDI Manager will be stopped for about 5 minutes. When it is stopped, while:
- guest machines will keep running, and connected users can continue their work normally.
- users can't start new connections to their desktops.
- flexVDI Dashboard will be disconnected, as it needs a connection to the manager, which is stopped for some time. When flexVDI manager is started Manager starts again, it will take 2 or 3 minutes until it receives all the information from the platform and the Dashboard will show some elements as in "unknown state". Don't worry. It , this is normal.
After the upgrade, you can open flexVDI Dashboard, and click on flexVDI Manager. In the right side of the window, you will see the currently installed version, to check that the new version is installed and running.