flexVDI 3.1 comes with the following main features:
- New web-based Dashboard! Just point a modern web browser to your flexVDI Manager's IP address and enjoy this new interface. No more installation required.
- Many of the components it is based on have been upgraded:
- QEMU/KVM 2.12.0, based on RHEV 7 packaged version, with small additions.
- libvirt 4.5.0, as shipped by RHEL 7.6.
- SPICE server 0.14.0, based on RHEL 7.6 packaged version, with small additions.
- LDAP group search: Configure your Desktop Policies in a group entry for all the users in that group.
- Experimental support for Gluster Filesystem. Now you can have hyperconvergence with flexVDI!
- New flexVDI Client for Desktops! A fresh, unified interface for Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
- Many small improvements:
- Change default PVID in virtual bridges, in case your untagged traffic is not in VLAN 1.
- OCFS2 packages are not a requirement anymore. They are installed on demand.
- Improved scalability of flexVDI Manager.
Upgrading from flexVDI 3.0 to 3.1 can be done with no downtime! However, just in case something goes really wrong, back up your flexVDI Manager Database, as explained in flexVDI Manager Backup.
Just in case I was not clear enough: Back up your flexVDI Manager Database. If you delete your old Manager instance without backing it up, you will have to rebuild your platform configuration by hand.
Install flexVDI 3.1 in all your hosts. The flexVDI 3.1 installer will detect your current subscription and support contract certificates, so the installation is mostly automatic. If you wish to change your portal credentials or update your contract certificates, do so with
flexvdi-config before running the installer.
This will update all the server packages to 3.1, while your Manager instance is still at 3.0. So, now just upgrade it as explained in the Administration Guide, and you are done! Enjoy your new flexVDI 3.1 platform!!
Reverting the upgrade process
If something goes terribly wrong and you need to revert the installation process to flexVDI 3.0, followe these steps. Read them carefully and do not perform any action that is not explicitly listed here:
In your hosts, uninstall all flexVDI related packages. The OCFS2 kmod package may refuse to uninstall, this is acceptable.
Stop the flexVDI Manager instance, from the host that is currently running it.
Remove the flexVDI 3.1 yum repository file and clean the yum metadata.
- Run the flexVDI 3.0 installer on all your hosts. You may need to downgrade the kernel if you upgraded it to a version that is not supported by flexVDI 3.0.
- Run flexvdi-config and:
- Go to Manager → Install, and follow the steps to install the latest version of flexVDI Manager 3.0.
- Go to Manager → Password and change the Manager default password.
- DO NOT perform any other step yet: Register, Move, etc...
- Restore your Manager backup: Go to Manager → Restore and follow the instructions.
In all your hosts, start the flexvdi-agent service.
At this point, your flexVDI 3.0 platform should be up and running again. Contact our support group to get additional help on your problems upgrading to flexVDI 3.1.